Donating to PUC
Donating to Pacific Unitarian Church (PUC) is Easy
Pacific Unitarian Church is a 501(c)(3) charity—all donations are fully tax deductible!
Below we list the main ways that you can donate and explain what funds you can donate to. Its important that every donation include a memo (Operating, Growth, Endowment, Split Plate, etc).
How to Donate
You can donate to Pacific Unitarian Church in any number of ways. Using any electronic transfer method (where the money goes directly into PUC’s bank account) is preferred because it saves volunteers from having to log-in and deposit your check, eliminates lost checks, and saves trips to the bank. Donations can be either one-time or recurring. No matter what method you choose, please ensure you annotate what the donation is intended for (see “Where Does My Donation Go” below).
Chase QuickPay (Chase customers only):
clearXchange (electronic transfer):
Your Bank’s Bill-Pay:
Credit/Debit Card through PayPal:
Transferring Securities (Stocks, bonds, etc.):
If you need assistance, call 310-378-5449 or email PUCadmin@pacificunitarian.org and we will be happy to talk you through the steps.
Where Does My Donation Go?
All donations received by PUC are assumed to be for general operations (Operating Fund) unless otherwise specified as one of the below items. If you have something else in mind for your donation you need to communicate that to PUC. The easiest way is to fill out the Memo Field if one is available. If there is no memo field available, please contact PUCAdmin@pacificunitarian.org to provide your instructions, we’ll annotate it in our record system.
There are currently 4 places to send your donations:
- Operating Fund:
- This is our general fund that pays for church operations, staff salary, maintenance, ministry, operating reserves, etc.
- If you can only donate to one, this is the one to choose.
- Donations to the Operating Fund count towards your annual pledge
- Growth and Reinvestment Campaign Fund:
- This is our capital improvement fund that pays for campus improvements, deferred maintenance, and efforts to increase membership.
- This fund repaved the parking lot and will be renovating the classrooms and Audio-Visual system.
- Endowment Fund:
- This fund provides the church with a long term investment for financial security, an annual income stream, and funds in an emergency.
- Members often leave a donation to the Endowment in their wills.
- Split Plate or Restricted:
- These funds may only be used for specific purposes
- Split Plate funds are split between the charity of the week and the Operating Fund
- Restricted Accounts are for specific purposes like the Minister’s Discretionary Fund, the Memorial Wall, etc and can only be spent on the designated item. These are very limited in nature and include:
- Camp Scholarships
- General Assembly Scholarships
- General Memorial
- Memorial Wall
- Minister’s Discretionary Account
- YRUU Funds
Automatic Recurring Donations
This is an EXCELLENT choice for the church, as it keeps our costs in administration extremely low! Its also helps ensures you don’t forget a payment and keeps you in control. You set up the amount and the number of payments and you can change it at anytime by logging into the appropriate account.
In order to set up auto payments you need a Chase QuickPay account or a PayPal account. The account enables the recurring payment setup, editing of your payment preferences in the future, and tracking. Chase QuickPay is free to use and payment is made from your bank account. PayPal costs the church approximately 2.5% of the total donation but does allow you to use your credit or debit card.
You can also use your bank’s Bill Pay feature and contribute to PUC directly from your bank account by setting up a one-time or periodic payments to Pacific Unitarian Church just as you make your other online banking payments. PUC is not charged a processing fee for online banking payments, however, these payments generally are sent to PUC as a check which must be processed.
Other Ways to Contribute
Earn $$ For PUC When You Shop
If you shop at Ralphs, Sprouts Market, Whole Foods Market, Vons, or shop on-line, you can earn money for PUC. Ralphs, and Vons (eScrip program) send quarterly contribution checks to PUC based on member purchases.
- Ralphs – log in to www.ralphs.com and, if new, “Create an Account”. Once completed, go back to this site, and click on “edit my community contribution” to link your card to Pacific Unitarian Church; or get a scan bar letter to give to the checker with your rewards card & they’ll sign you up. (Scan bar letters available Sundays on the Patio and in the PUC Office.) Click here for more details.
- Sprouts Market – $25 cards available for purchase on the Patio or in the PUC Office. 5% goes to PUC.
- “eScrip”. Click on eScrip where you can sign up, link your grocery card and other credit and debit/cards online to PUC. Once you are signed up, using any of these cards at participating merchants generates money for PUC. The “eScrip” program includes “dining out” and shopping online through the eScrip online shopping mall. Using your “linked cards” earns contributions for PUC! Go online to view participating merchants and restaurants!
Pooled Income Fund
In 1990, PUC established a Pooled Income Fund, intended to benefit both the donors and the church. The “pooled” donations are prudently invested in a collection of securities selected to preserve capital and maximize income. The donors receive all of the investment income earned on their donation for the rest of the donor’s life, and the life of their 45 years or older beneficiary, if desired. Cash or other assets that can be sold can be donated (and possibly avoid Capital Gains tax). Upon the death of the donor (or also of the 45 years or older beneficiary), the life income ceases and the current value of the donor’s share is transferred to PUC’s Endowment Fund. Minimum initial donation is $2,000 with minimum $200 additions. Contact the PUC Endowment Committee for more information or to prepare the necessary documents for you to contribute to the Pooled Income Fund, or for more information. Download the Pooled Income Fund brochure here.
Purchase PUC Merchandise or Make Custom Gifts at Zazzle
Donate Your Time!
If you have questions please contact PUCadmin@pacificunitarian.org or Treasurer@pacificunitarian.org.
Thank You For Your Financial Support