Director of Religious Education Pacific Unitarian Universalist Church (Pacific Unitarian)
Rancho Palos Verdes, CA
Pacific Unitarian Church is seeking to hire a new Director of Religious Education. This role averaging 20 hours per work involves working closely with the Minister, Church Board, and our RE Committee to provide programming that makes Pacific Unitarian a safe, fun, and inspiring place for the world’s next generation of UU’s.
Pacific Unitarian’s RE Director is the leader of a program that currently serves 25 children and youth within a broader community of 170-members. The chief responsibility of this half time role within our congregation tucked beautifully on the edge of a canyon in Rancho Palos Verdes hills is as an organizer.
At present our DRE supervises the largely volunteer RE “staff”, and works with the RE committee to organize special events and classes that make Pacific Unitarian a multi-generational community. There is an average of 15 Children in our Religious Education program on any given Sunday. The DRE is the manager and organizer of the three RE classes that average 5 children each. These classes are presently led by volunteer parents, and are supplemented by a few very part time paid aids, (mostly teens). Although this is not in itself primarily a teaching job, teaching some will likely be necessary.
Candidates should have experience designing curricula and teaching, experience with children in any context, and come with a history of Unitarian Universalist values and identity. Applicants for the job should have the capacity to work independently, be engaging and friendly, and be capable of communicating smoothly in person, via e-mail, and over the phone.
If you feel called to help shape the moral development of a small group of youth, feel comfortable as a leader, and have some experience with children please consider applying. The Salary is roughly 20k, with a benefits package that increases its overall value to roughly 25k.
Director of Religious Education Job Description
Title: Coordinator or Director of Religious Education @ Pacific Unitarian Universalist Church
Hours Required: Exempt Position. Part-time, 20 hours a week 12 months/year. Sunday mornings mandatory, other hours flexible as arranged.
Organizational Relationship: Employed by the board of trustees, under the supervision of the Minister and in consultation with the Religious Education Committee and Committee Chair.
Position Summary: The Director of Religious Education provides leadership, direction, general administration and supervision for the religious education program for children and youth. The position works with the Religious Education Committee and Minister to design and implement programming including training and supervising teachers and volunteers. The Director is responsible for coordinating all church child care and the supervision of child care providers.
Consistent with the Americans with Disabilities Act, this job description lists only those responsibilities and qualifications deemed essential to the position.
DUTIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES: The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. However, these statements are not exhaustive and cannot anticipate all possible duties and requirements which may arise.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Sunday Morning (4 hours)
- Direct and supervise Sunday program, including classes and childcare. Welcome, orient and assist new children and families in partnership with the Religious Exploration Council.
- Plan and implement Time for All Ages presentations in coordination with the Minister.
Teacher Development (6 hours)
- Recruit teachers and program volunteers to support the RE program.
- Coordinate training for teachers and volunteers. Provide orientation to teachers and educate them about routine, resources, supplies and equipment.
- Create timely lesson plans with the assistance of the Pacific Unitarian Rev. & RE Comm.
Program Development and Coordination (4 hours)
- In collaboration with the Religious Education Committee and Minister, manage the development, implementation and evaluation of curriculum and programs.
- Review curriculum from the UUA and other sources. Provide information and guidance to Religious Education Committee and volunteers.
- Keep abreast of new Unitarian Universalist Religious Education programs, teaching techniques and resources.
- Provide logistical and administrative support to OWL facilitators.
Administration and Management (3 hour)
- Manage RE registration. Keep accurate records for attendance, programs, financial expenditure and other related documentation. Communicate with Membership Committee about new registrations.
- Work with the RE Committee to create and manage the RE budget.
- Work with the Religious Education Committee to maintain adequate supplies, technical equipment and other sundries to ensure a positive teaching environment.
- Meet regularly with minister to review current and future programs.
- Attend weekly staff meetings.
- Plan and lead monthly Religious Education Committee meetings with the Religious Education Committee Chair.
- Child Care
- Arrange for child care providers for Sunday services and select events.
- Select and supervise child care providers, to ensure children get safe care.
Publicity/Communication (1 hour)
- Communicate effectively with the congregation about religious education.
- Plan, produce and send quarterly email to families.
- Create and post calendars.
Worship (1 hours)
- Cooperate with the Minister to coordinate 3 special Sunday worship services, such as Holiday Pageant, Coming of Age, and Bridging Ceremony.
Professional Development (1 hour)
- As time and Funding allow, participate in Liberal Religious Education Directors cluster meetings and educational opportunities. Likewise, depending on Funding, Attend UUA Regional Conferences and workshops.
- High School Diploma required; Bachelor’s degree in education or equivalent background preferred.
- Knowledge of spiritual and emotional development in children and youth.
- At least 1 year of experience in religious education or as an educator in a school, preschool, or nonprofit setting – teaching, selecting curriculum, and effectively presenting material.
- Skill, tact, diplomacy and proficiency in working with adults, parents, youth and children.
- Detail oriented and self-motivated with the ability to plan and manage complex events and programs. Must be able to work independently and with a team.
- Strong ethics and ability to manage confidential information.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Computer software skills – email, web searches, social media and utilization of Word and other related programs.
- Strong organizational and administrative skills.
- Good relational and volunteer management skills; training and coaching volunteers, coordinating events.
- Experience in supervising paid staff.
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions
- Must be able to physically work in a class room environment.
- Must be able to verbally communicate with the use of a telephone and be clearly understood.
- Must be physically able to utilize a keyboard.
- Must be able to travel as required; maintain current driver’s license.
Salary and Benefits
Based on the Unitarian Universalist Association Fair Compensation Guidelines. The entire package of salary and benefits is roughly 25k
To apply, send a letter of interest, and resume to Rev. Steve Wilson at firstname.lastname@example.org, or via traditional mail to…
Rev. Steve Wilson
Director of Religious Education Position
Pacific Unitarian Universalist Church
5621 Montemalaga Drive
Rancho Palos Verdes, CA 90275