Compensation: $30 per hour
Employment type: part-time job, flexible hours Non-profit organization
JOB DESCRIPTION: Coordinator of Religious Education
RESPONSIBLE TO: Pacific Unitarian Church (Pacific Unitarian) reporting directly to the minister.
COMPENSATION AND HOURS: This is a half-time, non-exempt position (18 hours/week). Wage: $30.00 per hour. Flexible work hours
STARTDATE: September 2023
PLEASE SEND RESUME & COVER LETTER TO: email@example.com
Description: Pacific Unitarian Universalist Church is an inclusive liberal religious community and a Welcoming Congregation. We are committed to valuing people and encouraging their spiritual, ethical and intellectual development. Join our team!
We are looking for a Religious Education Coordinator to work with the youth in our congregation. This job assists in planning and implementing a Religious Education program under the supervision of the Minster. The RE Coordinator will provide administrative support, have program responsibilities, and collaborate with RE committee volunteers. Program responsibilities may include recruiting, guiding, and supporting volunteers; serving as a teacher or program facilitator; supervising Sunday activities; organizing a summer program; developing family activities; outreach and publicity of events.
People with disabilities, people of color, Indigenous people, Hispanic/Latinx, and LGBTQ candidates are encouraged to apply. The Pacific Unitarian Universalist Church is committed to developing a diverse and talented staff team.
If you are excited about this role, but are still determining whether you meet 100% of the requirements, we encourage you to inquire and/or apply. Most Sundays are required with flexible weekly hours.
In collaboration with Minister
- Support the Minister in designing and implementing all-ages aspects of Sunday Services and post-service activities.
- Organize a year-round curriculum for youth ages 5-18.
- Organize special all-ages events 3-4 times per year.
- Coordinate Teen Youth Group.
- Create, publicize, and implement unique UU Youth Programming (pre-established ceremonies).
- Stay current with UU education initiatives through participation in training workshops, cluste networking, and relevant conferences.
- Maintain weekly communication and good relationships with parents, youth, volunteers, minister, Board of Directors, and congregants.
- Be on-site on Sunday mornings to connect with the congregation, welcome and orient new visiting families, and serve as a Mandated Reporter of record.
- Submit program information to Pacific Unitarian’s newsletters, e-blasts, and service announcements.
- Attend ongoing RE Committee meetings, staff meetings, and other relevant meetings as needed.
- Ensure that Safe Congregation procedures with children and youth are followed.
- Ensure the maintenance of attendance records and files of completed activities and programs.
- Recruit, train, and supervise childcare staff for Sunday and non-Sunday all-ages events.
- Ensure that materials and equipment are available for Sunday sessions.
- Assist RE Committee and Minister in preparing an annual budget and tracking expenses.
Education and Experience
- Knowledge of and enthusiasm for liberal religious education, a commitment to Unitarian Universalism or other open-minded religious community.
- At least two years of experience as a religious education leader, volunteer organizer, or social justice worker at an active congregation or non-profit organization.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred (or education in progress), preferably in a related field (such as education, social work, religious studies) or equivalent. UURE credentialing, Seminary, or applicable experience is a plus.
- An affinity for working with children of all ages and adults.
- Familiar with educational methodology for various styles of learning for all age groups.
- Knowledge of congregational life and dynamics is a plus.
- Strong computer skills are required, especially with Google Workspace and Microsoft Office Suite; social media expertise is a plus.
- Ability to use multiple modes of education (online, in-person, mixed).
*This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of the required activities, duties, or responsibilities of the position. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change, or new ones may be assigned.
**Pacific Unitarian Church is an Equal Opportunity employer and provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibit
s discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
***No relocation assistance is offered for this position; candidates not residing in Los Angeles County, CA, will be responsible for relocation at their own expense. Eligible candidates can provide proof of eligibility to work in the United States without support; sponsorship is unavailable. Candidates will be required to complete a full background check before starting work. To learn more about our congregation, please visit https://pacificunitarian.org.