Submit a resume and cover letter to Transformationteam@pacificunitarian.org with MOED in the subject line.
Multicultural Outreach and Education Director
(MOED) Job Position Description
APPLICATION DEADLINE JULY 31, 2021
Pacific Unitarian Universalist Church (Pacific Unitarian) is a Welcoming Congregation located 20 miles south of Los Angeles. We are a dynamic congregation with 160 members and friends.
Summary of Position: The MOED is responsible for developing and implementing educational programs for all ages at Pacific Unitarian with the goal of increasing intergenerational and multicultural outreach to the community. MOED works toward increasing understanding of systemic racism and leads in helping transform the congregation into a more diverse, equitable, and inclusive organization.
This is a full-time position: 48 weeks August 1 through June 30. This position reports to the minister, Religious Education Committee Chair, and Multicultural Transformation Team Chair. Sunday and some evening work, including some holidays will be required. Flexible/part-time remote work hours negotiable.
Multicultural Outreach Responsibilities
- Provides leadership to develop/implement culturally inclusive and innovative multicultural outreach to the local community.
- Serves as a Pacific Unitarian ambassador to visitors and new members to facilitate their feeling of engagement and belonging at Pacific Unitarian.
- Connects Pacific Unitarian and its members with Black/Indigenous/People of Color (BIPOC) organizations to strengthen linkages and collaborations.
- Develops and maintains relationships with local BIPOC community leaders, organizations, and schools.
Education and Congregational Engagement Responsibilities
- Develops weekly curriculum and activities with teachers and Religious Education committee using existing UU curricula as a guide.
- Collaborates with the minister, the Religious Education Committee, and other church committees to develop public events and programming to attract visitors and engage members.
- Works closely with the Multicultural Transformation Team to create, meet and publicize goals and milestones.
- Reports biannually to the Board of Trustees on progress toward agreed upon goals and milestones.
- Works with church committees to change practices and policies to be more inclusive and multiculturally appropriate.
- Recruits, trains, and supervises Religious Education teachers and child care providers each Sunday and for special events/programs.
- Maintains close contact with Liberal Religious Educators Association and UUA resources to keep abreast of best practices (mentoring), resources, and networking in the UU Movement.
- Manages MOED budget in support of religious education, outreach and engagement.
- Collaborates with the minister and the Worship Committee to coordinate special services such as Holiday Pageant, Coming of Age, and Bridging Ceremony, etc.
- Teaching experience and a BA/MA degree or experiential equivalent.
- Familiarity with Beach Cities/South Los Angeles/South Bay community desired.
- Knowledge of spiritual and emotional development in children and youth.
- Evidence of deep understanding of systemic racism, white privilege, and antiracism concepts and theory.
- Commitment to UU principles & beliefs.
- Second language is a plus.
- Strong ethics and ability to manage confidential information
- Excellent written, verbal, and public speaking skills.
- Solid computer skills.
- Strong organizational skills/ability to work with and motivate people.
- Black/Indigenous/People of Color are encouraged to apply.
- Must be able to physically work in a classroom environment.
- Must be able to verbally communicate and be clearly understood.
Salary and Benefits
- Starting salary is $50,000 yearly plus a generous benefits package, including health and retirement.
- This is a new position, funded for two years which may be renewed thereafter. Three-month probationary period applies.
To Apply: Submit a resume and cover letter to Transformationteam@pacificunitarian.org with MOED in the subject line. Deadline is 5 p.m. July 31, 2021. In-person interviews to be conducted the following two weeks and anticipated start date Aug. 2, 2021.
Pacific Unitarian Universalist Church, 5621 Montemalaga Drive, RPV, CA 90275
Note: In accordance with Pacific Unitarian policy, church members are not eligible for this position. Pacific Unitarian is an equal opportunity employer, building strength through diversity. Pacific Unitarian strives to be a fair compensation congregation